1. THE PRIVACY AMENDMENT (PRIVATE SECTOR) ACT 2001
Towards the end of 2001, the Federal government enacted changes to privacy law in Australia. Amendments to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“the Privacy Act”), regulate the way in which many private sector organisations, collect, use, disclose, keep secure and manage personal information. The provisions aim to give members of the public greater control over the way information about them is handled, and apply to personal, but not business-related, information. Under the amended Privacy Act, organisations must comply with 10 National Privacy Principles or an approved privacy code. You can find out more about the Privacy Act at www.privacy.gov.au
2. COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- to provide our clients with information about our services from time to time
- to manage subscriptions to newsletters and other publications
- to conduct promotions
We only collect personal information when necessary to provide the relevant services or to assist it in providing better services.
- as part of a subscription to one of our publications and/or promotions
- on the entry form for a competition or promotion
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information”.
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
By subscribing to SMSbump text notifications, you agree to receive automated marketing text messages from us about products and services at the phone number you provided when you subscribed, and that the messages may be send via automatic telephone dialing system or other technology. Message frequency is recurring. Consent is not a condition of purchase. Message and data rates may apply. Reply STOP, END, CANCEL, UNSUBSCRIBE or QUIT to opt-out and HELP for customer support. You will receive an additional message confirming your request to opt-out. You understand and agree that attempting to opt-out by any means other than texting the opt-out commands ABOVE is not a reasonable means of opting out.
Additionally when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information”.
3. HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may keep business contact information about you. We only use this information for normal business purposes.
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
Sharing you personal Information
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store--you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site -- you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful requests for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Do not track
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfill contracts we might have with you (for example if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
When you place an order through the Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
4. PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not share, sell or rent any identifiable personal information about you to any third party without your permission other than those stated above.
Where we contract out some of our activities, such as bulk mailing, that involve your personal information, we take reasonable steps so that your personal information is duly protected.
We store your information on computer databases as well as in hard copy. We take all reasonable steps to ensure the security and privacy of your information. We take reasonable measures so that your personal information is protected from unauthorised access and misuse.
5. YOUR RIGHTS OF ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
You can ask us to provide you with access to personal information we hold about you (including for the purpose of advising us of any inaccuracies). We will comply with any such request to the extent required by the Privacy Act. There is no fee for making such a request or for providing access to your personal information. We will endeavour to respond to your request within 14 days.
6. PRIVACY CONCERNS, MORE INFORMATION AND OUR CONTACT DETAILS
- advise us of any changes to your contact details or other information we may hold
- complain to us if you believe that your personal privacy has been breached
- obtain more information about the way we manage personal information that we hold
- request access to personal information we hold about you
- ask to be removed from our mailing list
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e‑mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Simply Plastic Free